Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: shooting a documentary

  1. #1
    Inactive Member [etas]Ybarsabal's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2000
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not to discourage you, but it would be virtually impossible to observe their normal day without intruding. Especially for such a short time of two days.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2000
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, you're right. I should be more specific about what I'm doing. It isn't necesarily a documentary on these two girls. This is only part of a long series I am putting together. I guess I should say it is an objective report. I have researched and filmed alot of footage just not this one aspect of the subject. People seem to act different when a camera is in thier face. Any suggestions on how to make them feel at ease a little?

    Ruthie

  3. #3
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ruthie
    Why not film them for a day for some practice and let them get used to the camera on them all the time. By the time you come to do it for real they will almost forget the camera is there. Also a good idea is to switch off the tally light so they dont know when your filming and when your not!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2000
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Need some advice...I'm shooting my first documentary in two days in New York. I have everything ready (cameras, crew, portable lighting...) I will be following two girls for two days. I have a list of topics I would like to discuss with them, but other than that I am looking to capture their normal everyday routine. Any last minute words of wisdom? What is the best way to shoot so Im not intruding on their life, but observing?

    Thanks,

    Ruthie

  5. #5
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    perhaps you could let them film themselves?
    Let them play with the camera, and find out how it works, so they are used to it.
    In the final cut you needn't use any of their footage, but it would make them feel more comfortable having a camera around....

  6. #6
    Inactive Member [etas]Ybarsabal's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 16th, 2000
    Posts
    47
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you have a lot of cash, buy some type of hidden/concealed video camera like the sun glasses Tom Cruise had in Mission Impossible. If not, then you'll just have to get them decensitized to you and the camera.


  7. #7
    Inactive Member N. Foster Tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2000
    Posts
    211
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Whatever you do, DO NOT, as the director, interupt with "uh huh" and "okay" when they are talking. Try to ask questions that will create monologues. Strive to make your documentary feel more like a movie and less like a series of interviews.

    Good luck. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

    -N. Foster Tyler

  8. #8
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The different color can be put on later using a computer ,so dont waste footage by doing it in the camera! Why not do a following around shoot followed by a tripod straight-on questions session (maybe highlighting the events of the day and why they happened) Keep the questions "open" i.e dont ask a question that has a yes/no answer. Dont interupt in any way because it will be murder to edit. When editing simply butt the edited segments together, then hide the jump cuts(in vision) with a cutaway(vision only).

    marti

  9. #9
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's something that I moticed in other documentarys. Try to have different kind of footage. For instance, most of the film can be in color, but some parts can be B&W, or have a red hue.

    -Ivan

    ------------------
    "A place for everything and everything in it's place".

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Ruthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2000
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for your suggestions guys...the shooting went well (for my firtst try). I found that people want to always narrate what they are doing on camera instead of just doing it. A little annoying and ruins the the feel of an observer.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •